Thursday, April 3, 2014

Snuggles

Jackson is a great sleeper and 99% of the time sleeps through the night. Last night was different, however. He woke up screaming at 1:00am and I took a glance at the monitor and could tell his light had turned on. His fan is on a remote control system, so sometimes things can set it off. 

I ran upstairs and saw that he was soaked in tears and sitting up. He looked so beautiful. I grabbed and held him and started rocking him in his rocker. He quickly fell asleep with his face nuzzled in my neck, his arms squeezing my shoulders and his nails digging into my skin. Unlike it sounds, it was so comfortable and gave made my heart skip a beat. Even though I could have put him back in his crib after 15 minutes, I decided to sit there for another hour. And as tired as I was, I started to think...

I am constantly picking Jackson up just to throw him in his high chair, or to put him in his car seat, or to move him away from the dog bowls. I hardly ever pick him up just to snuggle with him. It seems like these days, I am always in a rush. Minutes and days disappear and just like that: my little baby is turning into a big boy. I decided I need to make more of a conscious effort to soak up every little snuggle I have with him before he is running off and not wanting anything to do with me (at least not in the cuddling department). As I sat there, I thought about the past 11 months. Jackson has joined our family and has made us so happy. He is such a good boy and has the sweetest heart.

I could have taken that hour that I was snuggling with my boy, froze it, and bottled it up forever. I honestly need to invent something that can do that. I would constantly be in a state of ecstasy. 

Thank you, Jackson for waking me up last night and reminding me how goooooood it feels to hold you. Thank you for reassuring me that I will sacrifice many sleepless nights if it means that I get to spend some quality time with you. Thank you for making me forget for an hour that anything exists in the world besides me and you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment